Safety Tips for Valentine’s Day
Can you believe it? Saturday is Valentine’s Day: time for a romantic night with your significant other or a friend! An opportunity to treat yourself.
Be wary though as burglars are always on the lookout for unattended homes during periods when we are away from home, such as Valentine’s Day or Valentine’s Weekend, knowing that many of us have plans for a romantic evening or weekend.
To help you make the most of Valentine’s Day, we’ve put together some safety tips you may not have thought of!
- Don’t make your plans public on social media: Social media is now the Number 1 way for burglars to know ahead of time you won’t be home. Don’t share your dinner reservation, or night at the cinema, or your weekend away for Valentine’s Day. This identifies that your home is vacant making your home an easier target!
- Wait to post pictures: Ok, so you want to post pictures on social media from your special evening or weekend with your significant other. You’re out of dinner on Valentine’s Day and the food looks fantastic, the atmosphere in the restaurant is magical, you’re in a romantic mood and you can’t resist to share with your friends on social media! Just like announcing your plans, pictures will let burglars know you’re not at home. But if you wait until later when you are home to post your pictures, your home will be safer!
- Keep the lights on: A great easy way to deter burglars to breaking in to your home is by making it appear that your home is occupied. That begins by turning the lights on. Think about investing in an automation feature to light up your home when you’re away.
- Ask a trusted person to take care of your home. If you’re going abroad to celebrate Valentine’s Day, ask a neighour to look after your home. Politely request from someone you trust to look after your home. Instruct them to pick up the mail/packages, water the plants, or anything else to make it appear that you’re still there. We recommend rewarding them afterwards for their efforts.
- Put out the candles and keep objects away from fires: If you’re planning a romantic evening home with your significant other, be careful. Don’t leave anything on – oven, lit candles, etc. – when you leave the room or go to bed for the night.
Have you thought of giving a thoughtful thing to your significant other this year for Valentine’s Day?! Handy’s Security Systems offers Quality for Less with unparalleled security to your homes with a Start-Up Pack for only €473 inclusive of VAT and Installation and no hidden fees! Contact us to learn more about the Jablotron Start-Up Pack and for a FREE SURVEY on 77 77 87 87.